Editing Blog: The Coca-Cola Process

The first thing I did after shooting all my footage was move all the clips into my editing software. Once I got them in the same order as my storyboard, I started to trim each of the individual shots down to my desired length of about 5 seconds. As previously mentioned, there were two clips that I had a bit of trouble filling and those two got more time than the others because this is where I intended to put my VoiceOver. I had trouble trimming the clips so that they wouldn't override the 30 second limit. It was difficult choosing which parts of each shot were worth getting cut for the sake of the commercial being the right length. In the last scene, I had to cut off more than 10 seconds to make it fit but I finally got it. When got all parts of the video to my my preferred length, I started adding transitions. To blend the clips together more seamlessly I used a dissolve transition to switch between the scenarios and a fade-in for the can to glass shot. This was one of the best decisions I made while editing because the transitions gave it a more professional touch rather than having harsh cuts between ever clip. Once I finished with adding transitions, I edited the colors of the video to better get my point across. For example, in the beginning of the commercial where the subjects aren't in a good mood, the colors were purposefully made duller to create the effect of gloominess. In the middle of the commercial, the colors become more vibrant now that the subjects are enjoying a can of Coca-Cola to give the impression that drinking one will brighten your mood. This was a noticeable change but thanks to the transitions it didn't look choppy at all. After I gave the clips color, I muted all the shots except for the ones with coca-cola in the center of the frame. I intensified the sound on these two because it had the refreshing sound of a coca-cola can being cracked open and the pouring of the beverage fit perfectly as well. After that, I started adding background music to the clips that I muted. Then, I did my VoiceOver saying the coca-cola slogan, "together tastes better" for the 2 clips that I left unmuted. Then I finalized the commercial and saved it to my computer. Overall, it took about 2 hours to edit such a seemingly small project. It went well though, and I was more familiar with the editing software since this is my second or third time using it. I think the final product will be a great improvement will be better than my previous ones.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Production Blog: Photoshopping

Genre Research: Lady Bird

Shantaneil: The Start